Pages

Monday, June 29, 2015

What Can I Say?

There has been a couple things on my mind in this past week and a lot of it has been on home. Now, it still doesn't effect the work. I make sure of that. I am sure every missionary goes through this when the end of his mission is coming pretty dang fast. I have about 6 1/2 weeks left. The whole "day feels like weeks and weeks feels like days" is really coming to effect now. I am still focused on the work.

My companion is pretty cool actually. I have met him before when I was in his district in South Calgary. He is one of those people who doesn't like to "pile". I admire him for that, but the way how he fixes it I don't agree with and it usually is tracting. I don't want to spend the entire time of my last transfer just tracting. I hope to give him a couple of more ideas of how to do more effective work. The attitude is the same throughout the whole zone. I hope I can somewhat change peoples mind about it.

Elder Poulter is from somewhere close to Spanish Fork. He lived in Dallas, Texas before. Elder Poulter has been out for 18 months and he is still going strong. He is chill at most parts, but he likes to keep his mind focused on the work. He is not a fan of socializing much, but he still wants to work.

So our area is quite big actually. In fact, it's the biggest area I think I have covered. We cover Med Hat 1st ward and a little town closer to Lethbridge called Bow Island. From what I understand of how we do things here is that 2 days per week we go to Bow Island and do some work there. The rest of the week we mostly spend in Medicine Hat. From what I have seen, Bow Island is pretty dead for missionary work. Everyone there is fixed in their own religion and does not want to change. It is however a very nice town. People are always willing to say hello and all that. I haven't seen much in Med Hat though. From what Elder Poulter has told me is that the members here are super sweet. They take care of missionaries and help in any way they can. However, Med Hat is kinda dead in the missionary work as well. I believe, so far from what I have seen, is that we need to help strengthen the members by teaching the missionary discussions so that it can keep their mind on missionary. I don't want to go on a rant on how much I hate tracting because in the end it doesn't really matter.

We only have like one "potential investigator" in Bow Island, but we haven't really brought up the gospel to her yet. The missionaries before have been doing quite a bit of service for her so that has broke the ice in that relationship and we have been talking a lot to her. I don't know when it will be a good time to bring up the gospel with her, but I will see what will happen.

I have seen all across facebook with the gay marriage stuff. It is kinda not hard to miss. It is pretty interesting to see. Sure, gay people can get married. They can do that and that is between them and God or them and whatever. However, I don't believe that is the happiest way. I believe a marriage between a man and a woman is the happiest marriage. But here is the problem. I can defend gay marriage all I want, but what really the question is will the ones who support gay marriage defend my beliefs? The answer to that is no. I am glad the church put out that response that their doctrine has not changed about it and it will never change. People need to see that just because some laws have changed in the land, you can't change the church's doctrine.

That is all I have to say about that because it is a very sensitive subject to all because many know others who are going through same-sex attraction. My companion is having a hard time dealing with the fact that this just happened. All we do is still stand up with our beliefs, but don't get into a endless fight with others about it.  

I feel like this transfer will be the slowest transfer out of all my transfers. I don't think I can make it seem fast no matter what. People say that if I work REALLY hard then time will go by fast. My experience is if I work REALLY hard, time goes as slow as ever. I just got to find some enjoyment in working here. I am still trying to find a way since my companion loves to go tracting, but I will do my best to find other ways where we can both enjoy the work.

I would normally not ask this, but if you could, could you pray for me to just get passed this one last transfer. I believe this will be a pretty tough one and it will take a lot of work to keep my mind off home for sometime and focus on where I am now and what I can do to help people here. I do plan on staying out here till the end, I just need the motivation to do so. Thanks for all your support and can't wait to see you guys soon! It is pretty sweet that I am just about done with this 2 year mission. It has been a glorious time, a terrible time, a spiritual time, a physical demanding time, and an emotional time all at once. Love you all! Here I go! One last transfer...

My companion is the one who is wearing glasses in this picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment