Pages

Monday, December 8, 2014

The mission just keeps on changing

As you know, last week was transfers and everyone in our zone, except Olsen and I, was effective in the transfer meaning either their companion got transferred or they did. So our entire zone changed! Crazy! I have never seen that before in my mission. It wasn't like it was a big transfer, just I think our zone got the most change. Also, President announced a few things at transfers that were pretty odd since I have come out a bit ago. First, they way it has usually been for leadership here in the mission (ex. District and Zone Leaders) is that in order to become a zone leader you need to be district leader first and it goes up the chain and so on and so forth. President says now this has been disbanded so anyone could be called to anything. The best example of this was that our new AP (Assistant to President) is now an elder who has only been out 6 months. Isn't that crazy? It may be crazy to me because of how young he is. But this is wierd news because now I could be randomly called to be a zone leader next transfer if that's what President thinks I can do. Another thing that he announced was that training calls are the biggest calling a missionary can have in the mission. There is a lot of trust when a missionary is called to train another missionary. I am still wanting to train, but usually those who want something out here don't get it.
That was basically all that happened at transfers. Things happening to change a lot. I think it is because our President has only 7 months left here and he wants to make sure that this mission is the best it can be when he leaves.
This week wasn't all bad. Weather was definately better than it was last time. It was mostly sunny this entire week and I do believe it is going to continue to be sunny this week which is good. Although sometimes when the forecast says it is going to be sunny, it means it gets colder here because of all the wind chills.
Things have gone well for our investigators though. Frank and Annie actually came to all 3 hours of church this time! YAY! They also signed up to feed us tomorrow so that is a very good sign that they are progressing and like us! We were teaching gospel principles and the lesson topic was on Praying to Our Heavenly Father. While we were doing small group discussion, we read out part in the book and asked what Frank and Annie thought about prayer. Annie was crying and said prayer was a big part in her life and Frank agreed with her. I believe they both know this church is true and we can't really figure out any major concerns for them. We just have to wait for Frank to finalize his divorce.
We also have this very golden potential investigator. You remember that refferall I told you that one of the Stake Presidencys gave to us. If I remember correctly his name is Cane. You remember I told you we just have to wait for his dads permission. He is taking care of that this week, but we also found out that not only did he want to take the discussions, but his mother, grandma, and sister also want in with the discussions. Isn't that amazing? Things are doing super well in our ward and I keep telling you guys, it is because of the member missionary work here! I love it! Our ward is really starting to trust us. :)
We also got almost taken advantage of again by an excommunicated member. She was moving and we told her that we couldn't help her at the proper time she wanted because we commited to another move. She starting texting us non-stop saying we didn't follow with our commitment with her even though we didn't ever commit and she said the Elders Quorum president had no authority. It was just a really confusing day. But we settled it all and everything is good now.
Family Search training is doing alright. The Elders Quorum has kinda taken care of it by doing a lesson of it this last Sunday. Now most of the Elders know what they are doing. We are still there to help when people need us though. :)
We have a mission Christmas party this Wednesday! We are going to be with all the north missionaries up here in Calgary and have a great time. Also interviews are this Thursday so I get to talk to President personally again. It is always nerve racking at first, but then when you start talking to President it is not all that bad. President Nicholas understands a lot of things we go through as missionaries which is great!
The other thing that is super cool that transfers effected is now we got another elder in our district who is from the same area as where we live. Now all of our district except one are from the same area! How crazy is that!! We can just say all these memories that we had. The thing is, two is from lone peak and they kinda rub stuff in our face about sports...but all of that is behind us!! This district is so cool!
Now it is question time!
Question #1: Do you have warm enough boots?
I don't have boots and I haven't had boots my entire mission. I don't think I need them on this mission. I do need new service shoes however. My green basketball shoes have been torn up on the sides so when we do service, snow gets in them.
Question #2:
Were you able to listen to the first presidency Christmas devotional?
Yes, we were able to listen to the Christmas devotional. It was pretty good. I like D. Todd Christoferson the most. He is probably my favorite apostle just because I like the topic he picks in his talks.
Question #3:Are the people in your area religious? Are they Catholic, protestant, muslim. What do you find they are. Have you run into any Jehovahs witnesses or 7th day Adventist? Or do you find people are too busy for religion?
Ha, I have met many different people on my mission! Spegatti Monster believers, Catholic, Protestant, Anglican, Muslim, JW, 7th day Adventist. There are a ton of different people here in Calgary with many different religious backgrounds. I believe most of the people here are religious. The problem about people not letting us in is not the religion. It is how rich the community is. The west part of Calgary has very rich houses and people don't think they need anything other than what they have. That is the big thing that really stands in our way.
Question #4:  Would you be able to do Google Hangouts vs Skype for the Christmas call?
I do not know the answer to that question. I don't know what Google Hangout is either. But according to how you described it, sounds pretty cool. I will ask President Nicholas on interviews this Thursday and see what he has to say. Speaking of which, we should probably discuss a time where we should Skype so that we can tell familes when we would like to.
Question #5:
 Does/has your mission have ever had a "White Christmas" goal like my mission did where we focused on getting as many people read to be dressed in white for baptism and baptized on or before Christmas Day?
Um, I don't think we have and I didn't think we did last year either. We usually let people decide when they like to be baptized rather than just us choosing.
Well, that is all the week has given me. Quite a bit actually! I guess Christmas time is the best time of the year. Love you all! A little fact before I leave: I am going to talk to you a little something about prayer. Fold your arms right now. Now what shape does your arms make? Isn't it a infinity sign? Isn't it interesting that when we pray we are talking to an Infinite Being who knows all? Sweet eh!? Love you! Bye

No comments:

Post a Comment